Its that time of year – predictions!! We’ve reflected on the year gone by, so now let’s look ahead to what may come. In the form of dinner or on our reception menus. Here’s what the culinary world is buzzing on for 2013:
- Presenting South America: We’ve enjoyed the development of Asian cuisine evolve beyond Chinese and into that of Thai, Vietnamese and Korean flavors the last couple of years. Now the transition beyond Mexico into South America is bringing flavors from Argentina, Brazil and Peru to the mainstream.
- A Spot of Tea: Tea consumption as a beverage is still high, but now we are seeing tea in cooking and baking: as marinade or rubs, in chocolate truffles, cookies, and substitution for cooking water.
- Popcorn: Snack of the year: Its healthy or its decadent (truffle oil anyone?) and its comforting either way. And its top of the snack pile for 2013.
- Vinegar & Pickling: Its the year of fermented foods: sauerkraut, kimchi, with varietal vinegars popular in food (and drink!). If its sour, its on the charts.
- Smoked: Its everywhere: smoked salt and spices, smoked ice cubes for bar drinks, smoked bourbon, vegetable ash to coat meats, smoked nuts and vanilla beans, smoked olive oil, even smoked creme fraiche and smoked water – you get the picture. Char it up!
- Going (deep) green: Top of the list is kale, followed closely by seaweed, and the greens family (turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens), and chard.
- Bread Boards: Take the bread basket to the next level by offering assorted breads with a variety of spreads and dips, all on one bread board. Charcuterie boards will make the table as well.
- Meatless Movement Momentum:With the expectation of price hikes for chicken and beef due to this past summer’s drought, we may find alternative proteins gain more interest. Eggs, nut butters, legumes, tofu, beans, quinoa – creative options for a healthy plate (another trend for 2013: healthy eating.)
- Special Diets aren’t so special anymore: Gluten-free and vegan are now pretty much mainstream. Menus will make these categories mainstays and not specialty orders anymore.
- Push Pops: Not only the ice cream variety, push pops are taking on the form of cupcakes, too. Move over, macaroons: there’s another playful dessert on the table.
- Boozy Desserts: The rise on the cocktail culture in 2012 continues in 2013 (more on that next week) and we’ll see liqueur accents in desserts as well. Bourbon bread pudding, chocolate stout cake, rum balls and Kahlua cakes – can’t wait to start baking!
What culinary trends do you predict will hit the scene this year? Read more predictions on NutritionUnplugged.com and tell us what you think!